Tuesday, July 1, 2008

My motivation for canning

Many women are intimidated, or even offended, by the description of "a wife of noble character" in Proverbs 31:10-31. If this is you, I would humbly suggest that you go back and read it once more, because, in the words of Inigo Montoya, "I do not think it means what you think it means". (Did I just combine the Bible and The Princess Bride in the same paragraph? Yes, I did. You'll recover.) Here's the Kim paraphrase of that passage: Act honorably, don't be lazy, be generous, be prepared, take care of your family, and fear God. That doesn't sound so bad, does it?

I am fortunate to have women in my own family who were, and are, examples of this to me. Women who were strong, diligent, and creative enough to care for their families through wars, the Great Depression, and a lot of other stuff. I grew up watching them and hearing the stories of the ones who had gone before, but I understand much better now how hard it must have been and how tenacious they had to be to overcome. When I learn a skill that is new to me, but would have been something they did every day, I feel a sort of connection with them and that makes me proud.

Canning has been one of those skills. I would not presume to tell anyone how to do it, as I am the newest of newbies. My learning style is such that I like to read about how to do something, and then try it. I found so much information on the Internet, and I know anyone who is interested in trying canning could find what they need there or at a library. I did read somewhere that you should only use recipes written in the last few years, because of new findings about bacteria and spoilage. I did not find canning to be very difficult at all, and I don't even have the equipment to make it easier. (But my dear mother-in-law has offered to buy me some!!)

It doesn't take a genius to see that our way of life in America is not sustainable. Change will have to come if we are to survive. The change may come gradually, or it may be quite drastic and catastrophic. My feeling is that the more self-sufficient I can become, the better I can care for my family through whatever happens. Learning the "old ways," like gardening, canning and living within our means might turn out to be good skills to have.

That's probably more information than you were looking for, Sharon, but I hope it answers your question!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

:0)

Yes. Thanks for the info, and sharing a bit of your history. You are blessed!