Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Squash vine borers, round 2

Hate is a strong word. It is a word that I rarely use, and I try to reserve it for the things that God hates. But this growing season, I have come to realize that I hate squash vine borers. I think I am justified in using the word here, as all manner of disease, and probably pests, are the result of the fall of man and the entrance of sin into the world, so therefore God must hate them too.

I have two options here. First, I can get a sharp knife, cut open the stems, and dig the disgusting little varmints out. Then cover the opening with dirt, hope it roots and doesn't die.

Second option, I can just let them go. I did the radical surgery earlier this year when the plants were younger and I feared for their survival. But you know, as long as the vines lay on the ground, they will keep rooting and living above where the borers are feeding. The squash won't be as big, but I'm not planning to enter them in the fair or anything. And I guess I'm just getting less obsessive about my garden these days (or maybe just lazy, or too hot, or too busy). How much squash can one family really eat, anyway?

*sigh* What to do...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In the infamous words of Peewee Herman in Peewee's Big Adventure, "I say we let him go."