Sunday, September 14, 2008

before the rain

Between what's left of Ike and our first cold front of the fall, it should be raining here in a little while. So before the rain, I went for a walk and snapped some photos to share.I love to look at mushrooms, almost as much as I love moss. These are tiny, and there are probably a hundred of them in one clump. Honestly, I didn't even notice the snail when I took the photo.
I love this land, this little piece of the Earth we call our home. Even though it's only 3 hours south of where we grew up, I am constantly finding wildflowers I've never seen before.
I don't even mind our current lack of grass, because it gives more space for them to grow.
MMMmmwwwaaaa ha ha ha... Apparently whatever is munching on my tomato leaves is playing a prank on me.
This oregano started out about April as a seedling. Now it has overshadowed the other herbs. It's almost 3 feet across; I had no idea it would get so big. The bumblebees love it.
I think this is called a surprise lily. It came with us from our old house. And our cat, Bilbo - I believe he thinks I'm taking the picture of him.
And here's the greatest discovery of my week. When we moved here, I thought we had wild grape vines growing all over the place. But a couple of days ago, I discovered they are muscadines! I wanted to get some started here anyway, so imagine my delight that they are already here! Some of these vines are as big around as my arm down near the ground. Unfortunately, I have to figure out how to get to them - the lowest ones I can find are still out of my reach, and most are about 20-30 feet up in the trees. I think I'll take some of the baby ones that are just starting out and trellis them. What fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw, what pretty pictures! I love the one of Bilbo ... what a pretty kitty.

Ahh ... muscadines. Sure brings back memories of Waterloo.