Saturday, October 25, 2008


I normally don't serve sweets for breakfast. But this morning, I wanted a coffee cake. I didn't have a recipe for a coffee cake without hunting, so we experimented and came up with this. And boy howdy, was it good! I already have requests for it on Christmas morning. Here's the recipe, if you'd like to try it:

Coffee Cake

Preheat oven to 425. Grease a dish or pan - this fit nicely into my pie dish. (Does that make it a coffee pie?)

1 c. flour (all purpose)
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. oil

Mix the dry stuff together, then add the egg, milk and oil.

Streusel Topping

4 Tbsp. flour (all purpose)
4 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
2-3 Tbsp. butter, melted
4 Tbsp nuts, if you like

Plop this all over the top. I also had a little cream cheese, so I dotted the top with that also. Bake till it's nice and brown and bubbly, probably 18-20 minutes.

And see my new potholders? Our bank recently changed hands, and they had a big open house and gave away lots of freebies. I just love these - they remind me of the days when businesses gave away things that were truly useful. I can just barely remember feed sacks being made of pretty fabric, meant to be reused. I do remember dish cloths sewn into the end of flour sacks. I remember jelly jars pretty enough to use for glasses when the jelly was gone. Cool toys in cereal, juice glasses in all kinds of stuff, and Green Stamps when you checked out. Would that we still lived in the days when packaging was meant to be (and good enough to be) reused, not expected to be hauled off and recycled.

No comments: