Tuesday, March 10, 2009

survival bread baking

Considering current events in general; this post by David Wilkerson; spring tornado season coming shortly; and hurricane season not long after that, we have decided to get serious about our emergency supplies. In figuring what exactly to "hoard", I want to be sure not to waste money on anything we will not use. I wondered if we should store up wheat or flour - how would you use it in case there's no power? I figured there must be a way, because bread was around before electricity. But how would the average person manage to bake without power and without gas appliances?

I puzzled on that for a while, then I remembered our little grill. This thing has been my friend through many power outages. I have boiled eggs in a pan on it, boiled water for coffee, and of course cooked hamburgers and hot dogs. But would it be possible to build a fire UNDER it, and bake in it? We decided to give it a try today, to find out for sure if we should store some extra flour.

Here's our dough, first rising:
Dough, second rising, on parchment paper and grill rack;
Grill, with dough inside, over our fire. (I don't claim to be an expert fire kind of person. Don't laugh.) I did cover the wood handle with aluminum foil, just in case.
And voila! Bread! And it only took slightly longer than it would in the oven. It tastes a little bit like hamburger, I guess because of drippings in the bottom that I didn't get scraped out well enough. But it's not entirely unpleasant, and if we were hungry I know we would eat it. So now we know.

6 comments:

maya | springtree road said...

i'm telling you, if all hell breaks loose, i'm coming to your house.

Kim said...

*tee hee* Bring some saft if you have it! "End of the World as We Know It" party at my house!

maya | springtree road said...

i'll have to make some. i'll need you to send me another plum tree in a month or so. :)

hopefully the chaos can hold off for a bit...

Kim said...

Plum tree, we can do. Ditto on the chaos.

Sarah said...

What pretty bread! I saw this pita bread recipe on a blog I frequent, and since it tells how one may bake it in an iron skillet on a stovetop, I bet it would work on your grill, as well.
http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/03/pita-bread/

Kim said...

Oooh! That looks great! I'm going to have to try it. Thanks for sharing!