Thursday, May 28, 2009

friends for my friends

A few weeks ago, the girls in my Wednesday night preschoolers class asked "Mrs. Kim, do we have any baby dolls to play with?" I had to say no, we didn't. So what does a teacher/out of work toymaker do when her class perceives a need? She gets busy and makes some dolls, of course!

As you can see, they are quite imperfect. To save time, I stitched their facial features with different stitches on my machine, which is somewhat unpredictable. But the girls played and played with them last night, and seem to really like them. This pattern is from a vintage sewing book, but if you'd like to make similar dolls you might want to buy a pattern from Bit of Whimsy Dolls or visit this site for some free patterns (scroll down - there's all kinds of patterns there).

I made the dolls blankets out of some leftover fabric, and just pinked the edges so it wouldn't ravel. The girls have informed me that the babies need bottles, though, so I guess I'll need to find some. Have to take care of my kiddos! :)

1 comment:

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

Those are sweet, Kim.

Aren't you a good teacher! : )