Sunday, December 6, 2009

sick day

My whole family has "the crud". Lizi started with it two weeks ago today; Lydia came down with it a few days later; then Chad a couple of days after that. By some miracle I have been spared, and that's great because I can take care of my sweet ones better that way.

This morning, Lizi had a bad earache, and Lydia was still sniffly. So we stayed home from church.

So what to do with two sick girls? Lately I've taken an interest in felting, both wet and by needle. After reading this, I decided we could try wet felting in cookie cutters. Not too strenuous, and new enough to be fun.

I had a nice bag of alpaca fiber from a certain visit to a certain friend, so we decided to use a little of that for our first try.

Trying to get that soft, smooth, dry fiber into our little cookie cutters was kinda like trying to herd cats. (Not sure why Lydia wanted to wear a hat, but okay.)
So then we tried wetting it with hot water FIRST, which made it more manageable. And a drop of dish soap, of course.
We pushed and poked with our fingers and forks until the fibers seemed matted enough.
Here are our results before rinsing with cool water:
And after rinsing and gently squeezing out all the water we could.
I'll let you know how they look when they dry. Wish us luck!

1 comment:

maya | springtree road said...

awesome! can't wait to see. :)