Some have asked for more information about the handstitching project a couple of posts ago, so I thought I'd show the finished product. It's a moleskine cover, pretty much as the one in the Alabama Stitch Book by Natalie Chanin. Since it's from a book, I can't give much detail as far as how-to, but you can see that it's not really that complicated. A kit can be ordered from Alabama Chanin, or it can be made from purchased fabric (as this one), or it could be made from pieces of a t-shirt. I used the stencil provided in the book for the leaf design.
My changes are:
a heart inside the front cover;
signed and dated inside the back cover;
and a bookmark, which I think is essential. One of the properties of knit jersey is that it curls when you pull it. That can be annoying, but can also be used to your advantage. I just cut a strip of jersey with a leaf shape on the end, then cut another leaf to match, and stitched around the two leaf shapes together. (This keeps the leaf itself from curling so much.) Then I pulled the strip, and there's a sort of a vine-looking thing.
To attach it, I just tucked the top end between the two layers, and stitched it in place while stitching the folded-in ends to enclose the book cover.